40 Burton Hills Blvd, Suite 200, Nashville, Tennessee 37215
Call to Schedule a Free Consultation 615-467-1804 Call to Schedule a Free Consultation 615-467-1804

Interstate Child Custody and Relocation Lawyer in Nashville, TN

Helping to ensure your parental rights and the best interests of your children

After the dissolution of a marriage, one party may have an opportunity or feel the need to move out of the state. This can be very disruptive to a custody and parenting plan. While it can be enormously frustrating for the parents to be forced to renegotiate or relitigate child custody, there’s nothing to be gained by taking shortcuts, especially drastic action like packing the kids up and leaving abruptly. Your present custody order has the force of law. Violate it and you’re liable for contempt, which could mean fines and jail time. Under some circumstances, you could be guilty of parental kidnapping. Instead, you immediately should consult an experienced child custody attorney. I have represented clients in Nashville and central Tennessee for more than 30 years. I can help you get court approval of a petition to relocate, help you oppose a petition your ex-spouse files or negotiate fair terms of a relocation agreement.

How does the court in Tennessee treat a petition to relocate?

The question of parental relocation with a couple’s children may pit one parent against the other, but the court isn’t interested in which parent wins. The court decides the issue of child custody based on what it perceives to be the best interests of the children. If you’re the one petitioning for the move, the question for you is, what must I prove to show the court that relocation is in the best interests of my child? Does the relocation provide:

  • Better schools
  • Better home environment
  • Higher standard of living
  • Safer neighborhood

However, even if you could assert all these improvements, the court would still weigh that information against any downside to your proposed move, such as separation from:

  • The other parent
  • Other relatives
  • Established friends
  • Their community

Can parents agree to relocation by modifying his or her marital settlement agreement?

Nashville is home to many musicians and athletes who often move suddenly as their careers dictate. It’s impractical and frustrating to have this issue work its way through the court. If you’re in this situation, you can save time and expense and retain greater control over the outcome than you would have if you put the question to a judge if you and your ex modify your marital settlement agreement or divorce decree with a relocation plan and present it to the court for approval. As an experienced relocation attorney, I can help you negotiate an agreement that protects your parental rights and serves the best interests of your children.

Call on Karen Cain for help with a parental relocation plan

The Law Office of Karen Cain provides experienced, efficient, cost-effective representation for parental relocation disputes. Choosing the right attorney costs you nothing, because all our initial consultations are free. I answer your questions, evaluate your case and estimate fees. My Nashville office is easily accessible by public transportation and local interstates.

Karen Cain, Attorney at Law serves clients in the metro-Nashville Davidson County area and all middle Tennessee counties.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form